Wednesday 2 July 2014

Hello again.

                I haven’t been on my blog for a while, and took a pause from everything just for a slight bit of that “me” time. Time to contemplate, time for a little bit of that R&R, time for a little catch up on movies, time to learn how to roast that meal, and time to catch up on my books. I love to read, and everyone should learn the gratification of reading.


                Of course, you always hear, “Books are better than their movie counterparts!”, and rightful so. That being said, I have found a book that is the other way around.
                I have indulged myself into a couple of books that are based on the World of Warcraft series.  Currently, I am on Vol’jin Shadows of the Horde, by Michael A. Stackpole. It is based, and someone I adulate about all the time, Vol’jin a troll that is a leader of his tride. Very strong, lots of charisma, an hes gat a way wid di words mon!


                He speaks with a Jamaican Patois that was first developed by the ill-fated 17th century slaves in Central Africa. This is very important, and should always talk like dat! He is designated with that kind of speech, and the author missed, or did not do enough research while developing this book. Vol’jin never speaks in Patwa. One time the author used a quoted form the video game that was written in Patwa, but nothing else. Was this an oops?




                Remember, when are writing story you are the one that brands the person. You should find the way they use dialog. A great example, in David Eddings’ novel the main protagonist, Garion, goes to a bar to gather information about his quest. He finds an old man sitting in a bar. He called his pet pig a “peg”. This was really well done, and gave a simple old man new dimensions. Engraving a person in your novel is not just about how he feels as a person, or how he develops as good to bad person, or how he protects the world. How does he or she or even it talk? This is very vital. I will show you this with a one of my character from my story blog, that is coming soon, the way a character's speaks makes writing about that person fun and gives that person development. His name? The all-important Captain Calico Handcock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment